Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Easiest Pie Crust Ever

You probably have those recipes- you know the kind I'm talking about. You take it to a friend's house and they rave about how wonderful it tastes, and you think inwardly (or outwardly, if you're me) "if you only knew how easy this was to make..."
For my wedding shower, each attendee was asked to bring a favorite recipe of theirs, and they were compiled into a recipe book that I now treasure. This pie crust, the only pie crust I know how to make, by the way, was a gift handed down to me at this shower. Now, I share it with you.
My mom...my mother in law...my aunt...oh, they make wonderfully crumbly, flaky pie crusts. This crust is more of a sugar-cookie texture, but I find it delicious with many of the traditional fillings. Raspberry, apple, pumpkin, lemon...all go really, really well with this crust.
The recipe originally calls for these ingredients:
2 cups flour
3 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup oil
3 TBSP milk

This will make a pie crust (bottom only).
Often, though, I want something on top of the pie as well. So, for apple pies, I add 1/3 more to the recipe, and save 1/3 out when pressing in the bottom crust.
So, my ingredients for a double-crusted pie end up being:
3 cups flour
4.5 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oil
4.5 TBSP milk
What you do:


Take the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt) and mix in a medium bowl with a fork.


In a small saucepan, pour the oil and the milk and stir over medium heat until bubbly. You don't want a rolling boil here or anything, just some nice bubbles, so you know it's heated through- a light simmer, if you will.


When it starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour into the dry ingredients.
Mix around until fully combined. Pour 2/3 of the mixture (or all, if doing only a single-crust) into an un-greased pie plate and press down. Poke holes all the way around with a fork (sides, too) to keep bubbles from forming.



For baked pies (like pumpkin, apple, lemon)


Put empty crust in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until just barely browned. Then, add pie filling. and bake to pie's specifications.
For my pie, I added the pie filling (from a jar, got to love those canned goods!) and then crumbled the remaining 1/3 crust mixture on top. I sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top before putting it back in the oven for another 35 minutes.


If it is a chilled pie (pudding, berry)
Bake pie crust thoroughly at 350 degrees and remove from oven. Cool completely and add filling before chilling in fridge.

I hope you enjoy! And, learn your manners from someone other than Ryan's Hand.

4 comments:

Sonja said...

That video was too cute!

Thanks for the pie crust recipe...this week I am trying to do baked goods & Freeze them. I have yet to start but I still have two days left of this week :)

Can I bake the pie (pie crust, canned filling, crust topping) and then freeze the whole pie?

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Uhmmm... that's interesting. I use that same crust recipe for (mostly) fresh fruit pie's. I have used it for other recipes. But I was wondering the signifigence of cooking the milk and oil? That seems like an unecessary part - my recipe doesn't call for it, anyway. Maybe I'm missing out on a really good tip, here. Do you know?

Tracy said...

Bevy- Truly, I have no idea! I will try not cooking it next time and see what happens- maybe I am working too hard! =)

Sonja,
Yes, I believe you can freeze it all cooked, and then just warm up (or thaw, if it's chilled) when ready. I would just be careful with what type of filling you freeze (like, apple, pumpkin, cherry, and such would do well...lemon meringue woudn't do so hot because of the meringue, etc)
You amaze me with your preparations. What a blessing they will be to have once baby gets here!

Michael / Tifani said...

Yumm, yumm!! Thanks for sharing, Trace. This pie crust is delicious. Would you be willing to share your raspberry filling recipe that goes with this crust? The yummy frozen/chilled one that is so delicious?? I am definitely writing this crust recipe down!

I make the standard flaky pie crust from the BH&G cookbook (flour, salt, shortening, ice water). It's simple and yummy for anything from quiche to fruit pies, but it's great to have a "sweeter" and crumblier option!