Sunday, October 04, 2009

Miracles

October 1, 2009
"Mom, look! I got them for you!" He runs over to me, breathless, nose and cheeks flushed with the chill of a crisp fall evening. In his hand he grasps his prize and holds them out, a smile spreading across his face in anticipation of my reaction.
"Miracles. I picked them for you!"
And I smile at the irony- yes, "miracles" little guy- them and you...gifts in season. And of course, though I should correct his mispronunciation, I don't. (I am allowed some liberty as mom here, and if that liberty allows me some beautiful irony in life, then well, I'll take it most any day.) I take the bunch of marigolds from his hand and inhale deeply, that scent transporting me to days of youth and my grandfather and his garden. I treasure it up, this last bit of summer, knowing that soon it will die away, giving the ground rest until the next growing season.
Do I linger here enough, grasping to those last pieces of summer? In this present moment, do I enjoy that warm breeze, that handful of marigolds, that garden-fresh crisp green bean? Or even more, those gifts that will not return again next growing season...like the rosy-cheeked boy who sweetly miss-names marigolds and sees them as a prize. He will grow and stretch out of this 4-year-old body and transform into a young man. There are moments I am positive if I blink I might miss it. Like that last bit of summer, I must always remember to enjoy, delight, cherish each moment...for this too shall pass.


(above: Ryan helping around the farm last fall. )
_______________________________________________
There has been a lot of life happening around here these past few months. I plan on sharing some over the next few days...
I wrote the above post this past October before I took my very long hiatus, and tucked it away in the "drafts" section.
It became meaningful to me months later, after I had forgotten the whole thing...Time passed and we found out we are expecting our third baby (a girl!). We have been talking for some time with the boys about their new sister.
Ryan came downstairs one morning in January (three months after I wrote the above post) and told me that he had a dream about what we should name his new baby sister. "Miracle, mom. We need to name her Miracle." And of course I thought it was awfully cute...until I found this post and remembered my reaction to his late-summer gift.
Miracle does seem to fit after-all, doesn't it?
And yet another reminder to me of why I should be writing these bits of life down...

5 comments:

Mom J said...

"Out of the mouths of babes" - Flowers, little boys, babies are all such wonderful miracles. Thank you, Ryan, for reminding us! What an insightful little guy he is (and always has been). Love it!

Amanda Palmer said...

Tracy - I'm so glad you're back. Sure loved reading this. Thank you for sharing. I've never heard the expression, "this too shall pass" used quite the way you did...making me think about holding on to this time in the boys' lives because we'll get through it and not only the challenges will pass, but also the joys. Love you.

Stephanie said...

Oh my! Thanks for the tears! I have been oh so emotional lately. Anyway, what a beautiful post and a good reminder to look at everyday as a miracle and to remember that they grow up way too fast! I can't wait to read more! Thanks!

Sydney said...

Tracy, so glad you're writing here again. It's easy to remember the "big" events in our children's lives, but the daily miracles can blow away like dandelion puffs if they're not written down. Ryan has had a wise soul since he was tiny. Love to all five of you, and thank you.

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

So good to hear from you again...

I loved this post...and Congratulations on having another baby... I'm sure that day will remind you all over again, God's hand in the Miracle of birth.