Wednesday, August 12, 2009

And he turns two


He replies "YES!" excitedly and closes his tiny, chunky hand around two of my fingers. His grasp is firm, and he is ready for adventure. Of course, we both know that we are doing nothing more than feeding our sheep- the daily work of nourishment.
But when you are two, is not everything an adventure? (Isn't it too bad we lose that?)
We walk along in silence, hand in hand, and I wonder back to when the last time was that it was just he and I- not he, I, and big brother. What a different world this second one has- always in community. I marvel at how different our communication is- he with the excited one-word exclamations, me, with returned delight and awe, and then more silence.
A contrast from 4yo brother, who chatters along contentedly like a regular teenager, recounting the day that has been and the day yet to come (and the reason planes fly in the air and do they come in the day and the night like Hallie says they do? And did I know that the beans were now in the garden, also tomatoes? What should we name that cat?).
But today brother stayed inside- a rare experience for the little guy and I. Perhaps, on this birthday of his, a perfect moment. A moment to reflect on him, and the joy that he brings.
"Ooooh, wow!" he stoops down low, his entire body curled around his knees, and peers at a bee working on a bud of clover. I stay and look too, noticing new things yet again (don't we always when we slow?). For a moment, he is taken with the swing, swaying idly by and calling for us- "Wing! Wing!" He lets go of my hand and runs to it- old friends reuniting. I implore him "But Davey, we need to feed those sheep- they are hungry. Maybe another time." And he and friend part ways and he again clasps my hand.
We reach the barn and I lift down a bale of hay. He stands back, wide-eyed, looking for his chance. I untie it and he grabs a handful of dried grass and strides over to the door. He is still too short to see on the other side, to reach over with that hand, and so he stands on tip-toes and tries his best. I see him and lift him up to toss it over. He watches those "steeps" intently, eyes darting from one to another, checking, noting; farmer in training.

'Tis the work of my life as a mom: encourage, guide, correct, support. Today it looks like a trip out to the sheep barn, but it is a precursor- we are both practicing for those bigger walks, those larger lessons of life to come. Me, learning how to encourage, guide, correct and support, and he learning how to listen, learning what matters, learning how to persevere. A small dance that started back before that first birthday- foundations for something greater.
Chores done, we again match hands and start the long walk back to the house. This time when we pass the swing, he looks at me questioningly and I nod. And quietly, I push him and he flies back and forth with that wide smile that melts hearts and I take time to delight in this boy given to us two years ago today. We feel like bandits, not having to share "turns"- just he and I, I and he (and the swing, of course).
We run to the house and there is a piece of me that wonders if it's fair, this always having another around- always having brother and never just being one alone. It's not something I even consciously think, really, just a question lingering in the back of my heart.
When we hit that door, I hear the clomp clomp clomp of boots over kitchen floor and a squeal "RYYYYAN! STEEPS! WING!" And that smile of delight stretches across his face. His face is flushed and he is out of breath for all of the excitement. Ryan watches his brother closely and David again recounts our journey to his big brother, and I realize that most of the fun was coming back together with that brother of his. He's not really missing out at all- he's getting more- mom, dad, and big brother
.
They say that after you have kids, it is hard to remember what life was like before them. I can remember a bit- I remember quiet, reading for hours, the freedom to come and go without carseats and sippy-cups and extra changes of clothes (or babysitters). I remember long nights of uninterrupted sleep. But then I remember two kids. It's as if they have always been here together. There is life before- and then life with kids. And I love the relationship I have with each of them, decidedly different and each delightful. And no, I can't imagine life without either one of them.

You see, I need that reminder that a trip out to feed sheep is an adventure.
Among many, many other lessons, they have taught me that slowing down brings more joy, more appreciation, more gratitude. And where there is gratitude, you can't help but feel abundantly blessed.
And sometimes, it's best to run full speed ahead, with wild abandon and without care or cause (they are boys, after all)
.
Pictures: David getting boots on for chorin'; David 2 weeks old, and toy that Ryan thought he would like to play with placed carefully so he could "reach it"; David today, two years old and full of spunk.

5 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Can I just give you a ((Hug!))

I'll just be honest. Reading your post here today is the honest desire of my heart. I'll also be honest... I don't LOVE being a mom like I thought I would or like I think (know) I should. It's a real struggle for me. I don't want it to be like that, I am praying and hoping that will change, one day. SOON!!
I have two little ones. My oldest is two (26 1/2months) and my 2nd is 11 months old. I too remember the early days... before the "baby daze". I long for them again - at times. But. You've reminded me to slow... and enjoy my calling, in the here and now. Thank YOU.

Sydney said...

Tracy, among all the beautiful pieces of writing you've given us on this amazing blog, this one, to me, is perfect. It touched my heart and my mind. At its most basic, it's about a mom's small journey with her toddler to feed the sheep. But it's SO much more. Nature, humor, the need to stop for delight and for bees, and, under & above it all, a mom's love and wonder and back-of-the heart guilt -- all made whole again by Davey's joyous return from his adventure to tell his hero all about it! Thank you, my literary niece. I love you.

Tracy said...

Bevy, I don't think any of us are the moms we wanted to be (or at one point thought we would be). It takes my deliberate attention to enjoy and appreciate...so your honesty is welcome, and know I share your walk- stumbling more days than walking...relying on grace through it all. Thank you for your encouragement here, as well!
Aunt Sydney, you humble me. Your kind words are especially grace-giving today. Thank you and love you.

Christy B. said...

You are a wonderful writer and have the gift of vision. I am certain you are a blessing to the boys God has given you. If I could figure out how to subscribe to this blog, I would, but alas, that small leap further into the technological blogging world is beyond me! I will definitely bookmark you and be back. It is a joy to read the words of a good writer who lovers her family!

Krissy said...

Seriously this made me cry. I love how you relay messages to us. You are so inspirational to us moms, even those of us with only one child. Reading your blogs makes me slow down and appreciate life with Chloe that much more. Thank you!

On another note... Happy Birthday David! I can't believe he is two already. When did our babies grow into toddlers? Your writing made me miss him so much it was hard to look at the pictures. I need to come and visit you...sooner rather than later.

Love you SO MUCH!