Sunday, November 05, 2006

Because every mom knows what it's like to have baby residue on their clothes.

"Here, Ryan! Lookee here!" Phil cynically and loudly beckons our innocent child to get involved in an act of outright revenge.

"Mmmm M and M's! Soooo good! You eat these and go see mom!" I hear Phil snickering in the kitchen.

We had been in the middle of lighthearted banter when I left the room in a mock-huff, retreating to the couch where I sat, arms crossed, waiting for him to come sheepishly apologize.

But this, this was a new tactic- one I had not seen before.

Ryan, little feet pounding, ran with his arm outstretched into the living room, showing me his prized M&M. Being the generous toddler he is, he offered his bounty to me. I took it from him, popped it in my mouth, said thank you, and gave a wry smile to my husband, who just happened to be observing the event by peeking around the door.

Immediately his head disappeared and again came his beckoning call:

"Ryyyyyan! More candy in here!" He shakes the M&M jar loudly. The little feet run full speed ahead to the awaiting treat.

"Here, one for your mouth, and then one for each hand. Go see mom!" He says, his voice dripping with excitement that transfers to our 18-month old. Ryan runs into the living room again, smiling, little fists clinging the candies.

My husband's head appears once again around the doorway, and I cock my head sideways, glaring a bit at his shenanigans. And then he lets out a laugh as he sees the intended results.

A long stream of blue juice dripping from Ryan's mouth, his smile revealing equally blue teeth.

"That's it, give her a nice big hug and make sure to rub your face on her khaki pantleg!"

At least he's creative.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Philip Ryan.............You've been raised better than that!! You know full well that is not the proper use of "M&Ms", how can you be teaching that to my grandson? Family tradition says that they are to be used as "healing food" according to their colors. Yellow brings "sunshine", blue gets rid of the "blues", etc. Having your son smear their drippy juice on his Mother is not according to that tradition. Do you need the M&M tub returned to you??????? Sounds to me like Tracy needs to do a "take down" on you on the kitchen floor. Permission granted Tracy..........with my blessings.
P.S. Phil, do you remember what the brown ones were?? STOP BEING A "POOP". tisk tisk.....